USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with method of recording time  (Read 580 times)

brisc

Problems with method of recording time
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:26:21 am »

Hi,

I've recently started using the Globalsat GB580P, but i'm having problems with the way it tracks time.

I have autohold set so that when i drop below a certain speed, the device stops recording. However, when i start again after a stop, it carries on recording at the previous time.

For example, i start a bike ride at 9am, cycle for 2 hours and stop at 11am for 30 minutes. When i start cycling again it is 11.30am, but the extracted file from the device (either tcx or gpx) says that i started cycling again at 11am because it doesnt count the pause.

I could turn autohold off, but then this would make the average speed completely wrong, because it is dropping whilst the timer is still running.

Is there anyway of sorting this out?

gerhard

Re: Problems with method of recording time
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:02:14 pm »

The device never reports any pauses, also when pause is pressed manually. The Globalsat device records the speed separately, the distance is only recorded from GPS location. So exporting data to other programs that use time/distance to calculate speed, a pause can look strange. This also makes it hard to merge the data with other sources, like weather.
I have suggested that Globalsat update the protocol to at least note when a pause has occurred (but no acknowledge). This will require changes in the Globalsat com protocol which probably require changes in 3rd party applications reading the data. (Is there any other than TGP and SportTracks for GB-580? GH-625XT has LoadMyTracks too.)

One workaround is to never use pause, only start-stop-reset and exclude pauses in SportTracks.
For other applications, you may be able to at least merge activities.

The ST import plugin tries to determine pauses (to avoid the strange speed bump) by guessing when a pause has occurred. It could work for some slow parts too. But it is a very limited workaround.
http://code.google.com/p/globalsat-sporttracks-plugin/wiki/Features#Special_Features

brisc

Re: Problems with method of recording time
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:56:59 am »

Thanks for the reply gerhard. Seems a very unusual way to record data.

I've just opened the extracted .tcx file from one of my rides, and after a stop the timestamp on every trackpoint recorded afterwards is completely wrong.

I don't understand why the device doesn't produce the timestamp from the actual time of day, rather than from the start time of a ride + time on the move. Makes no sense ???

I'll have a look into those workarounds for now though gerhard. Not perfect, but i guess until this problem is fixed its the best we can do!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 19 queries.