USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GPSInfo can't find the GPS on any COM port  (Read 999 times)

Mobius

GPSInfo can't find the GPS on any COM port
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »

I have a BR-355 and I'm using my own adapter cable to go from the PS/2 connector to a female RS-232 connector.  When I power on the GPS it eventually goes to a blinking red LED.  When I connect the GPS to a tracker module for use with my ham radio, the tracker module lights an LED that indicates valid GPS data.  When I connect the GPS to my computer RS-232 port, GPSInfo does not find the COM port.  If I connect the GPS to a generic serial to USB cable GPSInfo cannot find the COM port.  The COM ports show valid under Device Manager and are set for 4800 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, no flow control.  I have also tried to see if any data was coming in by using Hyperterminal.  No luck.  I'm assuming that there is nothing special about the GlobalSat adapter cables (RS-232 or USB) other than the connector so why can't my computer see any data?

Mobius

Re: GPSInfo can't find the GPS on any COM port
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »

Ok, added a ground wire to the RS-232 cable and I can now see the NEMA messages from the GPS when I use Hyperterminal.  Good to know that the GPS is working but the GPSinfo program still can't find the COM1 port that the GPS is connected to.  Is there an issue with running it on Win7-64-bit?  Guess I can try it on WinXP.

Mobius

Re: GPSInfo can't find the GPS on any COM port
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:29:32 pm »

Ok, no help here so I finally figured it out myself.  I was using the GPSinfo version for the 355, General Use.  Downloaded the version for the 355S4 and it works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 20 queries.