USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My GB580P rattles inside  (Read 2331 times)

MikeS

• Regular Members
Re: My GB580P rattles inside
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 03:09:35 pm »

My GB580P also rattles inside. There seems to obviously be a problem. I just opened the case on my unit ant the antenna is not soldered.

Should they be soldered or just glued so it doesn't rattle?

Thanks,
-Mike

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:38:46 am by MikeS »

Amuzzing1

• Regular Members
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:47 am »

Solder the tabs.  The antenna is heavy (relatively speaking of course) and as your bike vibrates over bumps, it strains the few joints holding it down.  I soldered the tabs and used a bit of hot glue to fix the antenna to the case.  This will help prevent strain on the solder joints.

My antenna didn't reach the point of rattling, but it flexed so much that it broke the wire joint which prevented the device from satellite locking.

TheWiseFool

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »

Hi guys,

I have the same issue and I'm comfortable working on electronics. Only thing is I'm unsure how you opened the case up. Can you give me some tips? Do I take a razor blade to it or did you weekend the glue(?) bond and pull apart the case? Any detailed steps to open it up would be appreciated.

gerhard

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 06:19:30 am »

Hi guys,

I have the same issue and I'm comfortable working on electronics. Only thing is I'm unsure how you opened the case up. Can you give me some tips? Do I take a razor blade to it or did you weekend the glue(?) bond and pull apart the case? Any detailed steps to open it up would be appreciated.

There are other threads and pictures in the forum.
http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4306.msg14475#msg14475

TheWiseFool

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 01:23:31 pm »

So I managed to open my GB-580P with a razor and some gentle pulling. I confirmed I have the same issue. In fact, I can pull the pin on the left side of your pic cleanly out of the circuit board (but for some reason, not the right pin even though it's similarly loose {almost as if it were attached to something on the other side of the board}).

1st image shows I can cleanly remove the left pin.

2nd image shows what appears to be a mounting plate behind the GPS antenna. This might be what the GPS detaches from when in use. I use this GPS solely for mountain biking so it sees A LOT of rattle. I would probably try to attach it using some glue that adds a small amount of damping (i.e. cocking or similar rubber based adhesive).

Unfortunately, I don't have a torx screwdriver small enough to remove the board. I'll try to acquire one to do more digging. Are those two pins and the corresponding holes/connectors the method of connection to the gps circuitry? I'm hesitant to solder the connectors and glue the gps onto the mounting plate without confirmation. If someone could upload pics of the backside of the circuit board that would be awesome!

P.S. If you want to send me a GB-1000 for beta testing, I'd happily comply. I work as a Quality Engineer for a major auto manufacturer and have extensive experience with teardowns and quality reports.

My GB580P also rattles inside. There seems to obviously be a problem. I just opened the case on my unit ant the antenna is not soldered.

Should they be soldered or just glued so it doesn't rattle?

Thanks,
-Mike

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:29:16 pm by TheWiseFool »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 19 queries.