USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speed/distance spike  (Read 1043 times)

FreightTrain

• Regular Members
speed/distance spike
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:15 am »

I have been using my 580P for about 2 months now and have been very happy with no problems until today.  My unit experienced a 10 second spike up to 365.1 MPH causing the distance reading to go from what should have been an 11 mile ride to a 96 mile ride.  Has this happened to anyone else and is there a way to correct the data? 

gerhard

Re: speed/distance spike
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:00:35 pm »

This happens occasionally with GPS.
Personally, I have not seen this much off with the GB-580P, but with other GPSes.
There are always "jumps" when entering / leaving tunnels for instance.

It could be improved by using the speed sensor, but I have not heard about any device using this data like this. (Some high-end running uses accelerometer though.)
There is an opportunity here for Globalsat...

Some GPS importers can filter the data based on for instance speed bumps. This of course dependent of how the filters are set, so not recording a flight are completely dropped.

You can export the track, edit it and reimport it.
Personally, I import into SportTracks that allows editing of tracks.

FreightTrain

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »

Thank Gerhard. I am using the speed sensor on the bike. Also, this was in the clear open area with no major obstructions.  My ride today recorded with no glitches so hopefully it is just an anomaly.  When I imported into MapMyRide.com it didn't show the spike, but the data file on training gym pro does show the data as imported from the device.

FreightTrain

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 03:27:40 pm »

Ok, on today's ride something happened twice within about 3 miles where the distance and average speed jumped from about 17 miles first to 101 then to 189.  I don't see the speed spike on the download like it did before. I am deleting all the previous track points from the device and doing the firmware update. Hope this helps.

gerhard

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 03:47:33 pm »

Slightly different conclusion:
The Speed in TGP data should be from the speed/cadence sensor, so if that was off in the first occurrence it is possible that the speed sensor had a glitch. Check the mounting.
If the GPS coverage is bad, then you will see this on the map.

MapMyRide could drops "unreasonable" values at import, but it is more likely that the problem was with Speed data only and very few programs make use of that data (SportTracks imports it, but it is only visible in CustomTracks or Trails plugin).

FreightTrain

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 08:21:17 am »

would this possibly be an indication of low battery in the speed sensor? Based on your experience what is the normal lifespan of the batteries in the sensors? I only have 21 rides and a total of 277.22 miles on the unit.

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:46 am »

would this possibly be an indication of low battery in the speed sensor? Based on your experience what is the normal lifespan of the batteries in the sensors? I only have 21 rides and a total of 277.22 miles on the unit.
hello,

I can ensure you that it last at least 1 year, but like what Gerhard mentions it is most likely the correct position of the speed sensor versus magnet.
If the magnet is not placed right you can expect things like that, also whit other bicycle computers than GPS ones.

With regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

FreightTrain

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:29:18 am »

Thank you Albert. I have made a slight adjustment to the magnet position and sensor alignment to make them a little closer together.  I will post again if anything happens in the future. For now, I hope this solves the problem.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 20 queries.