USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost GPS signal  (Read 4069 times)

Maxwell

• Regular Members
Re: Lost GPS signal
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 02:25:37 pm »

Fixed it myself. 

My 580P was out of warranty and I'm impatient.  It's basically the antenna lead wire that gets detached due to a poor solder joint (very little solder).

The symptoms is:
Unit is powered on, stays on the "Locating Satellites" screen with the progress bar cycling from 0% to approximately 5% (hard to tell since no number progress is shown).

If they don't put something to absorb impacts like a cushion, it will be a matter of luck to don't have problems on the antenna solder. On the other topic the guy took some pictures showing the problem.
Until then people will have to upgrade, downgrade, walk around, etc.

Good luck!

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 03:10:24 am »

Dear Carlos

Our engineers can't duplicate your problem so far but they will keep to test
sorry for any inconvenient  :(

i will let you know if they have any update~~

Thank you and have a nice day :)

Best Regards,
Angela

gerhard

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 04:55:12 pm »

I had the same problem. Symptoms:

Time is never set, always 2009
Turn on the GB580P
Press arrow down
(In an area that there should be GPS coverage) check satellites. If there are no sats showing, the antenna is likely broken

I have a preproduction unit, it may not be the same for others. As I have no warranty, I tried to fix it myself.
I would like to warn that if you are not very good at soldering, dont try this. You may still use the device to record sensors...

Open the device by putting something sharp between the upper lid. The lid is just attached with silicon.
Lift the LCD (it is not attached)
Measure the resistance between the upper part of the antenna and the other end of the antenna cable - see the orange cable. If it is zero, the cable has likely deattached from the antenna.
If you are just semi decent at soldering, solder a replacement cable (like the orange) without dissemble further. The GPS reception will be worse, but the unit will at least set correct time.

To continue, remove the four torx screws and push out the board gently.
Check the antenna connector. The wire is very thin and hard to solder. If you succeed, fixate with glue or something.
Beware of summer cable when reassembling.

I do not have good equipment for soldering or good skills. The connector wire broke when I tried to repair it, so I had to go with the "patch" solution. I would like to replace the cable, but the connector will be hard to find. Even the shield is hard to solder (I skipped the cable, just use grounding). The device do not look good inside now, but seem to work better.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 19 queries.