USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EM406a - TX  (Read 469 times)

chrisweb

EM406a - TX
« on: October 21, 2013, 11:59:18 am »

I wired up the EM-406a according to the instructions. My EM406a does get the flashing red light which I understand shows it has a fix. I am trying to use the TX data to provide a fix for my Standard Horizon VHF radio. My radio does not appear to be getting anything.
Am I correct to connect both GND terminals together and to use that with the TX signal as the GPS data wires to the VHF radio.

USG_TECH9

• Administrator
    • USGlobalSat
Re: EM406a - TX
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »

Hello chrisweb,

I think the problem might be due to the EM-406A being a TTL device, and your VHF radio might be looking for a RS232 device.

So I would recommend a ER-506 (http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-716-er-506-sirf-iv.aspx), which is basically the same device as you currently have, but uses RS232 and has a SiRF IV chipset.

Here's the user manual for your reference: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/716/ER506_um.pdf

Thanks.

-Jesse

chrisweb

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 02:54:26 pm »

Jesse,
Thank you for that information. I checked with Standard Horizon and you are correct they need RS232. I had been told that others had used the EM406a with this radio but it seems I was misled.
Is there anything I can do with my current device, it is now useless to me.

Also if I get the other device and just hook it up should it just work without any input from me. It also looks like now there is no need to kep RX high if it is unused.

Chris

USG_TECH9

• Administrator
    • USGlobalSat
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:08:51 pm »

The EM-406A is a GPS module that is meant to be integrated into other devices, so unless you have a project that you can add GPS functionality to it, and works with TTL, then I'm not sure how else you could use it.

And yes, you just need to provide power (5V) and it will automatically start outputting GPS data in the NMEA protocol on the TX wire.

I actually would suggest looking at the BR-355-S4: http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-689-br-355-s4.aspx. This is basically a complete product that is waterproof and internally, it uses a ER-506. This may work better, since it comes in an enclosure and will better product the GPS module.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks.

-Jesse

chrisweb

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:21:42 pm »

Jesse,
Could I just cut the cable of the BR-355-S4 and provide it with 5.2v and hook it up the same as the EM406a without the need to keep RX high?

Chris

USG_TECH9

• Administrator
    • USGlobalSat
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 03:36:43 pm »

Chris,

Yes, but if you do cut the cable, you will void the warranty. If you want to avoid voiding the warranty, you can connect a female PS/2 on the VHF radio side, so you can then just plug it in, instead of hard wiring it in, and voiding the warranty.

-Jesse

chrisweb

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:44:01 am »

Jesse,
I am having difficulty sourcing a single ER-506. I cannot find either price or availability.  I will be purchasing via the internet.

Chris

USG_TECH9

• Administrator
    • USGlobalSat
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »

Chris,

Please contact our sales department for pricing & availability: sales@usglobalsat.com

You're looking for just one, right? You can let them know that I referred you.

-Jesse

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.