USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extending the battery life  (Read 2224 times)

zingo

• zingo.org
Extending the battery life
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:06:23 am »

Hi
As I'll plan to run my first 50miles (or 12h) race this year I want to see if there are some tricks or DIY battery extender ideas.

I tried the chaning the "Data recording" setting to 10 sec instead of every sec in the hope that it would "sleep" for 10 sec then do a GPS measuremnt but it seems like it does a constant measurment anyway since  it seems like the setting only did change "data storage" and not an battery life (after a test). And thinking about it this is probably needed to keep GPS data, the satelites will "randomly" send you data.

In another thread there where a few people that have build a battery extender,
- how do you "operate" them, I assume you cant keep the watch on the arm since the USB connection cable is quite big.
- how do they work is it just a few 1,5V (AA) batteries connected to a USB cable or do you need something more?

skeptisch

• Regular Members
Re: Extending the battery life
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 05:47:23 pm »

Hi Zingo,

i just used a battery box (4*AA type) with 4 NiMh rechargeable batteries (eneloops or similar types work best) on a old USB mother cable. After charging, their voltage is ~ 1.4 V each so 5.6 V combined. This is the max voltage the GH 625 can take. But be carefull, never use ordinary AA type (non rechargeable, like alkaline or lithium etc.) batteries in this box, since their voltage is higher - at least when they are unused. To be on the save side, also let the NiMh stay out of the recharger for a while (some hours after recharging may be enough) so that the initial peak voltage (which can be up to 1.5 V) went down.
The perfect solution would be a DC/DC converter on the box, holding the output voltage stable around 5 V and would also allow for any type of battery, but the above way works fine for me and is realy cheap.

Unfortunately, there is no chance to apply a smaller charging cable to the watch without serious modding of the device...

greetings

Skeptisch

zingo

• zingo.org
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:36:47 pm »

Hi
Thanx for the info seem realy easy to build,

The thing to google for was "powerpack usb".
After som googling I found a premade one (swedish site, but the picture "says it all") costs about $9
http://www.kjell.com/content/templates/shop_main_details.aspx?item=31779&path=470000000,480000000,492000000,494000000

Ill probably buy a premade consider to smal price and nice package, it will probably have the DCDC stuff included.

I also found this (and a few others like this one with internal battery)
http://www.lenmar.com/Web/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=PPU2100B
Just Mobile has one that has 4400mAh but it "starts to" get expensive, but that will
probably give you a few charges.

So now it just a matter of finding one that gives me most mAh for the smales amount of money,  how may mAh do you get from your 4*AA batteries?  Has anyone any experinces on whats brands are good?

I think it would be nice to buy an extra USB cable for the watch and make it shorter, (like 5cm).
or wait to see what Globalsat has to offer in the near future, it seem like a batterypack was on the new items list in another thread.

How do you handle the "charge" in process, do take off the watch and plug it into the cable when it needs charging (and that put in you belt or bag or someware during the charge process) Or do you have it attached to the charger cable the whole time? 
How long do it take to charge it?

johan_ande

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:44:58 am »

Hi,

Even thou the picture tells it all. Here is a short translation:

"Practical battery pack with USB-connector. Charges/power MP3 player or any other USB unit. Perfect accessory for your flight trip. Driven by 4 AA (R6) batteries (Not included). On/off button on front. USB cabling not included."

Btw, Kjell.com is a good place to buy these kind of stuff at least if you live in Sweden. They sell the GH-615/625 as well. :)

Kind regards
Johan

skeptisch

• Regular Members
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 05:03:26 pm »

Hi zingo,

"So now it just a matter of finding one that gives me most mAh for the smales amount of money,  how may mAh do you get from your 4*AA batteries?  Has anyone any experinces on whats brands are good?"

I usually get quite exact what is written on the battery ~ 2000mAh. And I am very satisfied with my eneloops especially i case of lower temperatures and storage behaviour...

"I think it would be nice to buy an extra USB cable for the watch and make it shorter, (like 5cm).
or wait to see what Globalsat has to offer in the near future, it seem like a batterypack was on the new items list in another thread."

Well, I couldn't wait so long... and the better (DC/DC) products are to expensive for me...

"How do you handle the "charge" in process, do take off the watch and plug it into the cable when it needs charging (and that put in you belt or bag or someware during the charge process) Or do you have it attached to the charger cable the whole time?
How long do it take to charge it?"

Up to now, I did not use the watch for long training and competition trips you mentioned. I used it (besides training) as a outdoor navigation and documentation tool. When turned of during the breaks, the 10+ hours battery life was enough for me so far. I attached my USB recharger all the time I made breaks > 30 min.

When the battery was nearly empty, it took around 3 hours for complete recharging (I did that at the end of the day) and i could do that twice with the same NiMh battery pack.

As an example: I did a four day trip of around 25 hours total "moving" time and the recharger with four NiMh batteries was more than enough...

I hope that helps

regards

Skeptisch
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 18 queries.