USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with GH-615 using USB in Vista  (Read 6396 times)

spatialguy

• Regular Members
Problems with GH-615 using USB in Vista
« on: August 25, 2009, 02:45:35 pm »

I have never been able to ge the GH-615M to be recognized on my computer.  I have downloaded and installed the latest Vista USB drivers.  I have downloaded and installed the latest GH615 PC Utility.  Both software packages install without errors.  When I plug in the USB cable, I get a message saying "Prolific USB t0 serial COM Port (Com5) Installed."  When I inquire through 'manage' it says it is working correctly. Yet when I run the PC Utility, it says there are no com ports.  I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers.  Nothing changes.  Can someone help?

Thanks!!
Mark

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
Re: Problems with GH-615 using USB in Vista
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:28:03 am »

Hello,

please watch here:
http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=189.msg260#msg260
 ;)Sincerely
Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

USG_TECH3

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:16:53 am »

Right-click on the GH615 Utility icon and select "Properties".  Next, on the compatibility tab, at the bottom select "Run as Administrator."  Now save and open program as usual.

spatialguy

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:12:48 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  The other poster also pointed me to a PDF file which had this suggestion, including also enabling "Run in compatibility with Windows XP (SP2) ... so I checked both.

Now the Utility program finds a com port .. so that is progress.  However, it cannot find the GH-615.  When I try things like 'get waypoints' there is a 'GetFileError -- timeout' message; if I 'Get System Information' I get a similar error.  Also, now that the 'scan' does find a com port, there is no recognition of the device when I plug it into the USB port ... something which was happening yesterday before I did the Administrator change.

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:21:11 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.  The other poster also pointed me to a PDF file which had this suggestion, including also enabling "Run in compatibility with Windows XP (SP2) ... so I checked both.

Now the Utility program finds a com port .. so that is progress.  However, it cannot find the GH-615.  When I try things like 'get waypoints' there is a 'GetFileError -- timeout' message; if I 'Get System Information' I get a similar error.  Also, now that the 'scan' does find a com port, there is no recognition of the device when I plug it into the USB port ... something which was happening yesterday before I did the Administrator change.

Dear Spatialguy

Could you please send me a photo which the device was plugged with cable?
Simultaneously, you can go CONFIGURATION > USER SETTING > TURN GPS ON on your watch;
and then come back to PC SW to click the DEVICE> Show NMEA on PC SW.
Finally, click the Tab on GPS Information to check any data is output.

This way is easy for distinguish the transmission works or not.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey  :)

spatialguy

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:31:36 am »

OK, Geoffrey, that worked, but the menus are not like you said. In my device, from Main Menu --> Navigation --> Turn GPS ON (or off).  There is also perhaps another way Main Menu --> Configuration --> Settings --> Setup GPS --> Normal

But, after making sure GPS is ON from Navigation menu, I then ran program, Selected Menu Device --> Show NEMA, and then selected tab GPS Information, and there is a scrolling list of data, each line beginning with $GP.....

Sorry, but I cannot make the 'insert image' option work in this browser .. can I email them to you?  I have email address for Rachel and Donald, should I send images to them, or can you email me with an address?

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:10:31 am »

OK, Geoffrey, that worked, but the menus are not like you said. In my device, from Main Menu --> Navigation --> Turn GPS ON (or off).  There is also perhaps another way Main Menu --> Configuration --> Settings --> Setup GPS --> Normal

But, after making sure GPS is ON from Navigation menu, I then ran program, Selected Menu Device --> Show NEMA, and then selected tab GPS Information, and there is a scrolling list of data, each line beginning with $GP.....

Sorry, but I cannot make the 'insert image' option work in this browser .. can I email them to you?  I have email address for Rachel and Donald, should I send images to them, or can you email me with an address?

Hello Spatialguy,

My mail address is geoffrey.ting@globalsat.com.tw
So, it seems the tramisson is fine (UPLOAD, Tx pin of device), let us go next step.
Please send COLD START command on PC SW to device, the scorlling with red words appears, it means receive is also fine (DOWNLOAD, Rx pin of device).
Loonkg forward to hearing from you.

spatialguy

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 01:44:26 pm »

Thanks, Geoffrey,

Unfortunately, COLD START did not cause any red text.  The word "OK" appeared, but then the text just continued to scroll as it had been before, in black letters only, with the same normal $GPxxx messages.

Would there be any way to notice a COLD START on the face/screen of the GH-615 device itself?

(By the way, is there a user option in the sotware to capture the NEMA data stream in this raw form?)

spatialguy

• Regular Members
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 01:49:39 pm »

Geoffrey,

One other note ... This unit has two ways to connect the USB cable to the jack on the back of the GH615 ... parallel and perpendicular to the axis of the device.  I note that this is different from the diagram in the online manual, where the connector plugs in at 5 o'clock, and has an alignment key.  I have this plugged in perpendicular to the axis of the device, but I note that there is an imprinted pair of arrows next to the plug ...  is there a circumstance when the plug should be plugged rotated 90 degrees, and plugged in aligned parallel with the axis?

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 10:03:38 pm »

Geoffrey,

One other note ... This unit has two ways to connect the USB cable to the jack on the back of the GH615 ... parallel and perpendicular to the axis of the device.  I note that this is different from the diagram in the online manual, where the connector plugs in at 5 o'clock, and has an alignment key.  I have this plugged in perpendicular to the axis of the device, but I note that there is an imprinted pair of arrows next to the plug ...  is there a circumstance when the plug should be plugged rotated 90 degrees, and plugged in aligned parallel with the axis?

Hi Spatialguy

It needs to plug at 5 o'clock direction, that means the cavity of plug needs fit the rib of connector from device.
If you have ever plug with the wrong direction, the Rx pin will be get damage.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:13:26 pm »

Thanks, Geoffrey,

Unfortunately, COLD START did not cause any red text.  The word "OK" appeared, but then the text just continued to scroll as it had been before, in black letters only, with the same normal $GPxxx messages.

Would there be any way to notice a COLD START on the face/screen of the GH-615 device itself?

(By the way, is there a user option in the sotware to capture the NEMA data stream in this raw form?)

Hi,

It seems the Rx pin didn't work. According to my experience, this pin might be damaged with the wrong plugging.
You can use hyperterminal which embedded in Windows and to set the buad rate as 57600 and appropriated com port to record the raw data.
We often to verify the GPS performance by this way.  ;)

Sincerelys,

Geoffrey

spatialguy

• Regular Members
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 09:49:51 am »

I do not understand "5 o'clock" ... there is no way to make it plug at 5 o'clock on this unit.  It will either plug at 3 o'clock or 6 o'clock, either parallel or perpendicular to the principal axis of the device.  There is NO alignment pin, and it would be IMPOSSIBLE to plug it in at 5 o'clock.  I realize that the users manual on the website shows a diagram of a unit where this is possible.  There there is an alignment pin which fits into a hole to insure the 5 o'clock position of obtained.  This unit IS NOT LIKE THAT.  This unit has no hole for an alignment pin.  This unit has a little imprinted diagram on the unit next to the USB jack which has two semi-circular arrows, which together form a circle, which suggests to me that there should be some rotation.  So, what do you mean by '5 o'clock' for this unit????

spatialguy

• Regular Members
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 09:56:02 am »

Yes, I do see that there is a rib alignment which matches up when the channel/groove on the plug when the plug is at 3 o'clock.  That is the ONLY way it has ever been connected.  I have never connected it at 6 o'clock, or any other way. 

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 11:14:34 am »

I do not understand "5 o'clock" ... there is no way to make it plug at 5 o'clock on this unit.  It will either plug at 3 o'clock or 6 o'clock, either parallel or perpendicular to the principal axis of the device.  There is NO alignment pin, and it would be IMPOSSIBLE to plug it in at 5 o'clock.  I realize that the users manual on the website shows a diagram of a unit where this is possible.  There there is an alignment pin which fits into a hole to insure the 5 o'clock position of obtained.  This unit IS NOT LIKE THAT.  This unit has no hole for an alignment pin.  This unit has a little imprinted diagram on the unit next to the USB jack which has two semi-circular arrows, which together form a circle, which suggests to me that there should be some rotation.  So, what do you mean by '5 o'clock' for this unit????

No misunderstanding on the semi circular arrow as a instruction on plugging or rotation.
It just is a chargingg symbol.
5 o'clock means the alignment of plug of cable. You can refer the page 10 of manual on website: http://www.globalsat.com.tw/eng/product_detail3_00000101.htm. It looks like locates at 5 clock direction. 

Regards

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 11:31:47 am »

Yes, I do see that there is a rib alignment which matches up when the channel/groove on the plug when the plug is at 3 o'clock.  That is the ONLY way it has ever been connected.  I have never connected it at 6 o'clock, or any other way.

So we are meaning the right plugging, your 3 o'clock is the groove and channel, my 5 o'clock is the head of cable position. I have no idea why did the Rx pin damage, please send me some photos for checking:
1. The clear image with connector & pins of back case of watch.
2. Plug cable connect with watch.

Regards

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 19 queries.